FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NAIC Seeks 2017 Consumer Liaison Representatives
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Sept. 1, 2016) — The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is currently accepting applications for the 2017 Consumer Liaison Program. The application deadline is 5 p.m. Central Standard Time on Oct. 31, 2016.
“The Consumer Liaison Program is invaluable as we develop model regulations and laws at the NAIC,” said John M. Huff, NAIC President and Missouri Insurance Director. “The NAIC is globally unique in our efforts to include consumer insight to inform our work and enhance consumer protection and education.”
Established in 1992, the program encourages consumer representation by providing qualified representatives of consumer organizations with the opportunity to participate in NAIC meetings. The NAIC defines a consumer organization as a national, state or local organization serving to protect the public's insurance regulation interests.
Applicants can participate in the consumer liaison program by applying as either a funded or unfunded consumer representative.
The NAIC provides reimbursement for travel expenses for qualified funded consumer representatives to enable them to participate in NAIC meetings. To qualify for this funding, an individual candidate must:
- Have a commitment to representing consumer interests in insurance regulation,
- Represent a non-profit organization,
- Be willing to fully participate in NAIC national meetings and related conference calls,
- Have demonstrated expertise and experience on insurance-related issues addressed by the NAIC,
- Have no obligations or commitments to an industry that conflicts with his or her responsibilities to represent consumer interests, and
- Require NAIC funding to fully participate in NAIC national meetings and conference calls.
An option for individuals who do not want or need funding but would like to participate as an advocate is to apply for an unfunded consumer representative position.
All applicants for consumer representatives are required to complete the application and attach all requested documents by the Oct. 31 deadline. Applicants will be notified in mid-December 2016 regarding their selection as funded or unfunded consumer representatives for the 2017 calendar year.
Additional information about the NAIC’s Consumer Liaison Program is available on the NAIC website.