The website for the Virgin Islands Office of the Lieutenant Governor Division of Banking, Insurance, and Financial Regulation
is currently unavailable.

This information is being provided by the Virgin Islands Office of the Lieutenant Governor Division of Banking, Insurance, and Financial Regulation through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) website.

USVI NEWS RELEASE: A Message From The Lieutenant Governor And Insurance Commissioner Osbert E. Potter

NAIC NEWS RELEASE: NAIC Provides Support to US Virgin Islands After Hurricanes

Insurance consumers needing assistance can call this toll-free number:


Help Line hours: Monday — Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. U.S. Virgin Islands Time (UTC-4)
7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Central Standard Time (UTC-5)


Office Addresses:

Office of the Lieutenant Governor
Division of Banking, Insurance, and Financial Regulation
St. Croix Office
1131 King Street, 3rd Floor, Suite 101
Christiansted, St. Croix, VI 00820

St. Thomas Office
Nisky Center, 2nd Floor
St. Thomas, VI 00802


Quick Reference for Consumers

Consumer References

What information is required to file a claim under a commercial hurricane insurance policy?

Back to top

When filing a claim under your property insurance for hurricane damages, do you have the necessary information and documents for it to be processed?


Back to top

Can you make repairs on your home before making the insurance claim?

Consider the following aspects:


Back to top

Do you know how to file an insurance claim after a hurricane or flood?


Back to top

Do you know if your property insurance covers you even if you had to vacate your residence because of the threat of a disaster?


Effectively, your insurance covers you, but before you evict your home:


Back to top

Do you know what to do if you want to make changes to your policy to protect your home?


Back to top

Where should you keep the documents related to your insurance policy?

Keep a copy of all important documents related to your residence insurance in a safe deposit box or in a safe place.

These documents include the insurance policy, inventories, and telephone numbers of your authorized representative, producer, and insurer.

You need this information to make your claim, if your property is damaged. As soon as you receive the evacuation notice, take all the documents related to the insurance policy you have kept in your home.


Back to top

Who should claim your insurance?

File your claim directly with the insurer if possible. If this is not possible, you can do so through your producer or authorized representative.

An adjuster will assist you in this process.

The adjuster is a professionally trained person to determine the monetary amount that must be paid for the loss or damage occurred and claimed under an insurance policy.

The insurer will assign you an adjuster to service your claim. This represents the insurer. If you want to hire one that represents you, you must hire a public adjuster.

The public adjuster and the independent, must be licensed by the Office of the Insurance Commissioner for the line of business for which they perform the work.


Back to top

Do you know how long to wait to receive payment for your claim?

The investigation, adjustment and resolution of any claim shall be made in the period of forty-five (45) after having submitted to the insurer all documents that are necessary to dispose of said claim.

The insurer may extend that first period, but such extension may never exceed ninety (90) days from the date the claim was submitted.


Back to top

After the disaster when your property has been damaged:

The NAIC and the Office of the Insurance Commissioner are objective sources of information to help consumers understand the intricacies of insurance coverage.

Back to top

What does the Department of Justice recommend to avoid purchasing a previously flooded vehicle? Can I access the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) to check a vehicle?

Back to top


Additional Hurricane Response Resources:

Information for Finding Loved Ones in the Virgin Islands

The American Red Cross Safe and Well website is a free public reunification tool that allows individuals and organizations to register and post messages to search for loved ones, or for individuals to indicate that they are safe. The site is always available, open to the public, and available in English and Spanish.  There are a number of ways to use this service:

FEMA: Hurricane Maria. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has created the following website to provide current resources and information on the federal response to Hurricane Maria.

Consumer Alert: Navigating the Claims Process

Consumer Alert: My Insurance Doesn't Cover What?

Consumer Alert: Flooding

Consumer Alert: Buying a Used Car?

Home Inventory Check List

Flood Disaster Prep Guide

Hurricane Disaster Prep Guide

Consumer Alert: Disaster Prep

Consumer Alert: Preparing for Extreme Weather

Insure U Disaster Prep


Insurer Information

Most recent bulletins from the Office of the Lieutenant Governor Division of Banking, Insurance, and Financial Regulation.

Bulletin 2017-06: The maximum fee which may be charged residential insureds by public adjusters

Bulletin 2017-07: Written Catastrophe Response Plan

Bulletin 2017-08: Hurricanes Irma and Maria — Misrepresentations and Fraudulent Claims

Bulletin 2017-09: Data Call Relating to Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria Insurance Claims

Bulletin 2017-10: Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria — Claims Adjusting and Adjusters


      Links of Interest

Asociación de Mujeres Profesionales de Seguros (AMPS)
Asociación de Supervisores de Seguros de América Latina (ASSAL) www.assalweb.or
National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
Insurance Information Institute
Insure U
About USPS Service Alerts